BOOKS ISSUE: Isa Chandra Moskowitz is back with 'Isa Does It,' a vegan cookbook for working stiffs
"I live in Omaha now — I'm in the middle of the country — and that really changed my views on what people have access to. So I just wanted it to be really accessible ingredients," she says. "Another reason I wanted to write this book is because I was cooking more than ever because there were not that many places to go out to eat."
It's another world away from Brooklyn, where meat-free restaurants and offerings dot the streets, and markets have aisles full of items clearly marked "vegan."
While there are meat-and-dairy free offerings at local sushi spots and coffee shops (and Whole Foods Markets) there's no dedicated vegan restaurant in Omaha — yet.
When we spoke, Moskowitz had recently been handed the keys to her first restaurant, which will open in spring 2014. Attached to a bar owned by the members of Saddle Creek band Cursive, Moskowitz's spot will serve a revolving menu of vegan comfort foods, all made from scratch. "All the mayo is from scratch, I'm going to make my own cheese, [there will] even be house-made sodas, and kombucha on tap."
Although there have been some rumblings about Moskowitz's restaurant for some time, she gives the Guardian an exclusive: The name of her new restaurant will be Modern Love.
Most Commented On
- Making real-time surveillance - March 8, 2014
- Oh, the irony! - March 8, 2014
- I am the World's Smartest Leader and I am running for Mayor too - March 8, 2014
- Craft empire | SF Bay Guardian - March 8, 2014
- I'm sure the SFBG was just as - March 8, 2014
- So you've never been inspired - March 8, 2014
- I've hired a few dozen people in my time - March 8, 2014
- Yes, the moderate majority are a majority who agree.on - March 8, 2014
- Assuming you get hired to do - March 8, 2014
- They might as well all be the - March 8, 2014