MUSIC: BFF.fm is the new cool kid in town
Through technical concerns, financial woes, and equipment searches, the couple caressed the challenges until their lovechild of a station was born. "BFF.fm is the baby I will never have," she says, laughing — in all seriousness.
Trading potential offspring for SF music nerds, the Guest family is growing — 60 DJs now host 45 shows throughout the week. From obscure electronica and '80s favorites to garage rock and blues, BFF's roster goes in all directions.
"I like to say our show plays 'high-quality' music — no point in using genres anymore," says Gregory Hill, who DJs as Cool Greg on Monday nights. Together with co-hosts Marisa Breall and Katie Kopacz, the trio plays tracks to complement their other shared gig, Professional Fans: show promoters, DJs, and the like.
"Our show is the perfect way to plug both the shows we are going to as fans and the ones we are going to as promoters," says Hill. The friends see the radio as bonding space for music lovers at large: fans, bands, labels, and venues, all mingling in new ways. "BFF is creating community. There's some real closeness happening."
This kind of passion is exactly what Guest is cultivating. "I want to see real excitement in the DJs. Putting together a thoughtful show every week isn't easy. It takes a certain kind of person, someone who strives to keep it fresh," she says, being a long-time DJ herself. "It's a job done out of love."
I ask her if streaming ever weirds her out. Does the connection feel less real? Less radio?
"It still feels very natural to me. The delivery has changed a lot but the basic components remain," she says.
"It's still a person in a room, sharing with another person somewhere else. It's people devoting their attention to a shared media," she says. "Radio is magic."
Tune in to BFF.fm on the Internets here.
Most Commented On
- And anti-union, too. The - July 24, 2014
- Diversity necessary, skills be damned - July 24, 2014
- It's SFBG who is raising a race issue here - July 24, 2014
- RtRpXUSerOX - July 24, 2014
- I feel sure that SFBG would love to hire black reporters if - July 24, 2014
- Agree, and thanks to blacks for making the NBA so great - July 24, 2014
- I would love to see this same - July 24, 2014
- Spoken as someone who clearly has never run a rental business - July 24, 2014
- Most computer science majors are men - July 24, 2014
- Women in tech - July 24, 2014