Facebook is binary no more.
The social media company announced via its Facebook Diversity page that profiles will now allow for a custom gender choice, a change long sought by transgender rights activists.
Traditional social networking (and even dating) websites mostly allow only the choice of male and female. But now Facebook has functionality to add multiple gender identifiers under a customizable text menu. The change was brought about through a collaboration with a number of LGBT advocacy groups, including GLAAD.
"This new feature is a step forward in recognizing transgender people and allows them to tell their authentic story in their own words," said GLAAD President Sarah Kate Ellis, in an announcement on their website.
The new function has up to ten variable gender options: transgender, cisgender, androgynous, genderqueen, neutral, and others. The list will be added to in the future, GLAAD said.
Most Commented On
- qcXxxEfPWOYXcFI - April 18, 2014
- Yes, so where is your evidence coming from? - April 18, 2014
- One of the ways the left always justifies their bias is by - April 18, 2014
- Where to begin? "Even if it - April 18, 2014
- Yes, why don't they have just one weekly SF paper and - April 18, 2014
- If SFPD agree and the cameras can be turned off then I have - April 18, 2014
- Yes, when SFBG is reduced to arguing about which tech boss - April 18, 2014
- The great prophet that brought my ex back - April 18, 2014
- There are no eyewitnesses other than - April 18, 2014
- ""Bias" in favor of the facts - April 18, 2014