Year of the Workhorse - Page 2

Different Fur Studio owner Patrick Brown saddles up for 2014

Patrick Brown in Chinatown. Guardian photo by Erin Conger

"I didn't pick a career where I would make a million dollars and I didn't pick a 9-to-5," he says. "I work long hours for crazy people — musicians — and in the process, I've become one of those crazy people."

Brown's career path followed a nomadic, diverse education: he studied architecture in Paris, English and psychology in New York, and advertising and film in SF. He repeatedly found himself failing, bored, and planning his escape to the next shiny curriculum.

By the time art school had begun to lose its appeal, he'd begun recording a few low-key recording projects with musician friends. The needle dropped: He did a year at SF State for Music Business, following it up with two years at Ex'pression College. He was hooked.

"People always ask me if listening to the same three-minute track for 12 hours on repeat drives me nuts," he says, shaking his head, and takes a sip of round two: a pink Mai Tai. "I love it. It was my cue — that's how I knew I actually wanted to be a sound engineer."

The more diverse his repertoire can be, the better: A long list of recent projects includes an Armenian classical quartet, a dance hall remix, darkwave, and a Brazilian pop group. ("They all inform each other," he says.) Brown is also a member of the Grammy board, plays host for the Converse Rubbertracks sessions, and occasionally makes music with his buddy Robert Pera as Woof Beats. He loves throwing events, like a recent listening party for the Grouch and Eligh. His latest addition is sound consulting for GitHub, a partnership aimed at creating fruitful connections between music and tech.

To put it lightly, he's a workhorse. The horse is, of course, the latest Chinese zodiac sign to come into its 12-year rotation and, as a 1978 baby, Brown claims stallion status. The timing is right, too, since 2013 proved rough: Steve Brodsky, one of his closest friends and cohorts, passed away, and two much-loved Fur employees gave their notice. Brown's mood shift was palpable, the year of grieving slowly eroding his usual sarcastic banter.

But the new year is freshly upon us and there's already a notable difference in his mood. His hooves are shiny, so to speak — geared up for the gallop ahead.

"This year I want hang time with my girlfriend...I can't sit in front of a console for 16 hours a day," he says with conviction, then contradicts it all by admitting he also doesn't want to work less. He laughs. "I'm not sure how it's going to work exactly. All I know is that I'm in a better mood about it all."

Comments

I searched a bunch of sites and this was the best.

Posted by mobile on May. 25, 2014 @ 12:55 pm

Wow I must confess you make some very trenchant points.

Posted by puerto on Jul. 15, 2014 @ 12:22 pm

That's the thinking of a creative mind

Posted by searching other on Jul. 15, 2014 @ 3:50 pm

This makes everything so completely painless.

Posted by being affordable on Jul. 18, 2014 @ 12:38 am

Learning a ton from these neat articles.

Posted by divides on Jul. 18, 2014 @ 4:48 pm

That's really thinking at a high level

Posted by keep receipts on Jul. 18, 2014 @ 5:44 pm

Ah, i see. Well that's not too tricky at all!"

Posted by car insurance quotes on Jul. 23, 2014 @ 5:52 pm

This is a most useful contribution to the debate

Posted by other contenders on Jul. 24, 2014 @ 1:56 pm

This information is off the hizool!

Posted by ayurvedic tradition on Jul. 24, 2014 @ 8:35 pm

Great thinking! That really breaks the mold!

Posted by dionysiac on Jul. 24, 2014 @ 10:24 pm

Posted by Hilton Anderson on Jul. 24, 2014 @ 10:37 pm

DR odudu is the only Dr who could ever get my HIV-AIDS cured with his healing spell, i have tried almost everything but i couldn’t find any solution on my disease, despite all these happening to me, i always spend a lot to buy HIV drugs from hospital and taking some several medications but no relieve, until one day i was just browsing on the internet when i come across a great post of !Nicole! who truly said that she was been diagnose with HIV and was healed that very week through the help of these great powerful healing spell doctor, sometime i really wonder why people called him Papa Odudu, i never knew it was all because of the great and perfect work that he has been doing that is causing all this. so i quickly contacted him, and he ask me some few questions and he said a thing i will never forget that anyone who contacted him is ! always getting his or her healing in just 6 hours after doing all he ask you, so i was amazed all the time i heard that from him, so i did all things only to see that at the very day which he said i will be healed, all the strength that has left me before rush back and i becomes very strong and healthy, this disease almost kills my life all because of me, so i will to hospital to give the final test to the disease and the doctor said i am HIV negative, i am very amazed and happy about the healing Dr Odudu gave to me from the help of his ancient herbs if you have any question for me concerning all i have said email me at: hiltonander1@gmail.com But if you feel like contacting Dr Odudu at once you can email him now for your own healing too at: oduduspells@gmail.com or call his phone number which is +2347031548325 for direct contact good luck i am Hilton Anderson You can also contact him if you have any of the problems listed below he can help you as well...

(1) If you want your ex back.
(2) If you always have bad dreams.
(3) If you want to be promoted in your office.
(4) If you want women/men to run after you.
(5) If you want a child.
(6) If you want to be rich.
(7) If you want to tie your husband/wife to be yours forever.
(8) If you need financial assistance.
(9) How you been scammed and you want to recover you lost money.
(10) If you want to stop your divorce.
(11) If you want to divorce your husband.
(12) If you want your wishes to be granted.
(13) Pregnancy spells to conceive baby
(14) Guarantee you win the troubling court cases & divorce no matter how what stage
(15) Stop your marriage or relationship from breaking apart.
(16) If you have any sickness like (H I V), (CANCER) or any sickness.
(17) If you need prayers for deliverance for your child or yourself.
Once again make sure you contact him if you have any problem he will help you. contact him immediately via (oduduspells@gmail.com) or call him today on his phone number+2347031548325

Posted by Hilton Anderson on Jul. 24, 2014 @ 10:37 pm

Home run! Great slugging with that answer!

Posted by deeply into on Jul. 25, 2014 @ 1:32 am

Until I found this I thought I'd have to spend the day inside.

Posted by ayurvedic tradition on Jul. 25, 2014 @ 3:26 am

Good points all around. Truly appreciated.

Posted by health tips on Jul. 28, 2014 @ 6:45 pm

Kewl you should come up with that. Excellent!

Posted by improved arousal on Jul. 28, 2014 @ 11:52 pm

You're the greatest! JMHO

Posted by hysterectomy on Jul. 29, 2014 @ 10:38 am

Also from this author

• Radio Romance

MUSIC: BFF.fm is the new cool kid in town

• POW!'s Byron Blum on staying put

• House party

How to make a home into a venue