One of the craziest aspects of the whole ACORN saga has been how rightwing lies about the organization have been repeated so often that they have come to replace the truth in most people's minds.
For instance, according to the Office of California Attorney General Jerry Brown, there are no reports of votes that were cast fraudulently, thanks to anything ACORN did.
As Brown's press secretary Christine Gasparac clarified today, "ACORN itself did not commit, counsel, or aid and abet registration violations. Some of the canvassers employed by ACORN and paid on per registration basis handed in phony registrations in order to make money and all were all caught and rejected by the Registrar."
Now, I'm not saying everything ACORN has done has been without fault, or that the left isn't guilty of distorting facts, too.
I'm just saying that it's too bad that political discourse in this country has descended to the point that the truth is now irrelevant.
Most Commented On
- Barhin K Bhatt Possible - June 19, 2013
- Guardian endorsements - June 19, 2013
- I said it's arguable - June 19, 2013
- Gold and ink - June 19, 2013
- Marcos requiring registration won't work for at least 3 reasons. - June 19, 2013
- You appear to be simultaneously suggesting that SFBG should - June 19, 2013
- Suggested to Tim a long time - June 19, 2013
- Every newspaper is owned by someone who wants to skew - June 19, 2013
- There are viable progressive - June 19, 2013
- An oil baron does have reason to want to own media - June 19, 2013